Map of Sri Lankan Beach Tourist Destinations
Sri Lanka is famous as a sea, sand and sun tourism destination because of its exotic sandy golden beaches. With over 1600 km coastlines, Sri Lanka is known to most tourists for its tropical beach resorts, which offer various attractions all year round. We have compiled a Google Map containing more than 17 Beaches in Sri Lanka, so you can navigate and travel to those destinations. Many beaches listed here are public beaches, so you can go and have a bath there without any permission or paying fees to Hotels. These beaches are for foreign and Sri Lankan Local travelers.
Beach destinations close to Colombo and West Coast
- Negombo – Negombo offers one of the best sandy beaches and hotels and resorts, located just 10 km from Colombo Bandaranaike International Airport (CMB)
- Mount Lavinia – Mount Lavinia Beach is Sri Lanka’s most popular sea bathing place and it is a hotspot for tourism and nightlife.
- Kalutara – Situated 42 km south of Colombo. Beach with its old colonial charm is one of the most culturally prominent seaside resorts in Sri Lanka.
Southern Coast Beach destinations
- Beruwala – Beach is a 130 km stretch of beach in a small tranquil fishing village and it is treated as the starting point of the southern cost beach resorts.
- Ambalangoda, home of devil-dancing and mask-making;
- Hikkaduwa, a popular underwater sports site with coral gardens
- Galle, its natural harbour was once a Dutch fort, known for lace-making, ebony-carving, and gem-polishing.
- Unawatuna – Unawatuna beach is a picturesque semi circular bay beach that stretches no more than one kilometer. Unawatuna bay Beach was once named “The Best Beach in the World” by Discovery Television Channel
- Jungle Beach, Unawatuna
- Polhena, Matara
- Madaketiya Beach, Tangalle
East Coast Beach Tourist Destinations
The eastern coastal region offers numerous opportunities for water sports, deep-sea fishing, underwater photography, scuba diving at the shipwrecks and coral reefs off the coast, and whale watching.
- Pasikudah & Kalkudah – Passikuda beach is a curved and rather compact shore, however it is impressively vast with wide stretches of spectacular beach with palms scattered along the coastline.
- Arugam Bay – Arugam Bay 116 km from Colombo it is another fishing village. Identified as the best surfing beach in Sri Lanka and the 4th best beach in South-East Asia and is also among the 10 best surfing beaches in the world.
Beaches in Jaffna and the North
- Casuarina Beach, Karainagar
- Kankasunthurei (KKS) – Kankesanthurai (KKS) is considered to be one of the best beaches in the Northern Province. This public beach is located close to Thalsevana Holiday Resort. In the past, KKS was a naval hub with the Sri Lankan Navy Naval Base being located in the area. Today, it is a family beach with large groups seen basking in the sunny sands and cool waters.